Monday 9 February 2009

More scrapbags being listed today.


When we are at the fairs we have to get up at 5am every morning. Unfortunately on our return my internal clock takes quite a while to get back to normality, so here I am at 5.38am listing on my blog. Mad I know, but at least it gives me time to do all the correspondence that I never seem to have time to do under normal circumstances.

Today's listings are of beautiful French fabrics with delicate designs of roses in pinks and blues. It makes you think of Summer even if there is still snow around. We are lucky here in Morecambe as there isn't any snow at all except on the Cumbrian mountains which can be seen across the bay. Still it is very cold.

I thought I'd tell you about how the scrap bags are made up. I have a session where I wash and iron suitable fabrics. Having got these in a pile, I test every one for strength and durability by pulling them and holding them up to the light to find out where holes are. I then set about drawing around a template which is 18cms x 12 cms. To fit the four fabrics in a bag I then fold each piece in half, iron and lay them out in piles according to colour. This way it is easier to see how colours and patterns will coordinate. After choosing four fabrics they are laid down and the pile gets bigger and bigger. Each set of four is then carefully laid out on a previously cut card, ironed and carefully turned over so that the fabrics wrap around. This is then photographed and slipped into a cello bag, sealed with my own label and priced.

This is a lot of work but I am sure you will agree worth the effort.

No comments: